Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Pre-ferment Experiment Update

Not to dissuade you from reading the rest of this post, I don't have good news.  After two weeks, the liquid was pretty much stable, unchanging.  It had a distinct, albeit weak, apple cider vinegar smell and taste.  Yes I tasted it along with a few other brave souls at the bakery.  I swore to them that it would bring health and vitality...it did make my stomach a bit queasy but, don't all old-time health remedies.  Back to the test.  I had hoped that the vinegar taste would "evaporate" from the final product revealing a magically tasting loaf.  If not that I thought that possibly the acid would give the bread a longer shelf life.  To do a true test I made a straight dough along side the pre-fermented liquid dough.  After baking them we all tasted the two loaves.  The apple cider vinegar taste was still there; not surprising.  The next test was to put one of each type of bread in its own plastic bag and wait.  I put them in the office so I would notice the first sign of mold.  Alas, both breads molded at nearly the same time.  So on both fronts I lost.

Not is all lost though.  I will do another test with whole wheat flour.  I will allow the liquid to ferment for a couple of weeks but this time I will take some of the liquid early on, while it's still "sweet" to test it for it's flavor profile in the bread.  Hopefully then I'll have happier things to write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment